Friday, April 15, 2011

Vegan Brie Round

Vegan Brie Round

I love Brie, I miss brie.. lets be serious, I miss all cheese. I don’t mind a lot of my restrictions. I am grateful to be able to chew and taste foods. I am grateful that I am not limited to just candy and jell-o. But I must admit that I do miss cheese. Brie is an excellent cheese, and an expensive one. Is there some way to make an alternative cheese? Could it work?

Well the first job was finding the ingredients. I am lucky enough to live in a great city, a great vegan city. I got all of my ingredients form my natures pantry a local health foods store that is about 10 mins from my house. How convenient right? The only issue is that they only had red miso. I, in my ignorance of Asian ingredients thought that the red and the white can’t be that different. FALSE. I found this blog entry After I had already tried my recipe… now I am on the search for white miso, so that I can try this again. http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/ingredients-pantry/whats-the-difference-white-yellow-and-red-miso-079637

As I found out, after I tried the recipe, I really needed to find white miso… but here is my review of the brie anyway. Red miso smells BAD and tastes worse.. it was truly gross by it’s self. After I tasted the miso I discovered that perhaps it was not the correct ingredient, but I waged on, committed to making something delicious… maybe it would be better after it cooked? It could happen…

Here were the reviewers:

Katie: my resident vegan and best brutally honest friend

Mom and Dad: You know where they come from- they are true cheese lovers, especially brie

Melissa: a cheese lover who had a bad brie experience in her early life and has never tasted it again.

The reviews:

Katie: Loved it, she liked it so much she took it home with her, it was creamy and a good alternative to store brought non dairy cheese.

Mom and dad: they said that if I had told them it was just a dip they would have liked it, but because I said it was brie its taste feel short. It did not taste like brie but rather a creamy brie like cheese dip, not bad but not exceptionally good either.

Melissa- I think she liked it but I tried very hard to convince her that real brie is very different from this fake brie… I hope to someday introduce her to the real thing.

Most importantly- My review. It’s not brie but its not bad…. Not a glowing review, but I know that I made the mistake of using the wrong miso… and I really have to give it another try..

Anywho know where to find some white miso?

Brie Recipe

This dairy-free cheese is incredibly rich, creamy and versatile. It works well on its own, with crackers or bread as an appetizer or in a casserole or pasta dish. This recipe makes an 8" round, but it can be made into two smaller rounds if desired.

Makes one 8" round

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 T Egg Replacer powder
  • 3 T warm water
  • 16 oz. dairy-free cream cheese, such as Tofutti
  • 1½ T nutritional yeast
  • 1 t. prepared stone-ground mustard
  • 1 T. honey or agave (if vegan, use agave!)
  • 3 T sweet white miso, lower sodium variety

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lighly oil an 8-inch round cake pan or two deep soufflé dishes and then line with parchment. Set aside.

2.In a small bowl, combine the Egg Replacer powder with the warm water until well combined. Set aside.

3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer on medium speed, mix the cream cheese, mustard, nutritional yeast, honey and miso until fluffy and well-combined, about 4 minutes. (If you skimp on the whipping time, your cheese will be dense and not as creamy.)

4. Add the Egg Replacer mixture and whip for 3 minutes more on medium-high speed. Spread cheese mixture into prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until cheese is golden-brown in spots and has puffed up. Set on a cooling rack to cool. Turn out onto a serving plate and serve warm, at room temperature, or cold. (Leave it in round pan as long as possible and unmold just before serving. This will help this soft cheese keep its shape.)

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/basiccheeserecipes/r/BrieRound.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment