Sunday, April 3, 2011

Almost-kinda-sorta Indian Rice -Vegan, Fat Free and Low Residue

So this is not a very fun post. I lost my camera for about 4 days and well, I didn’t get any shots of these… but I found some pictures to add to the post anyway. I hope you enjoy. I loved this rice. I made it for my parents with a roast lemon chicken (from Americans Test Kitchen… I am border line obsessed ATK)It goes without saying that the meal was by no means vegan but the rice was! And it was beyond yum, if I do say so myself. I made 4 cups of cooked rice for 3 people… and we ate almost ALL of it. It got me thinking that maybe I wasn’t to start to experiment with Indian flavors more. Joe loves Indian food and I usually shy away from it because I don’t like spicy things. But if I’m cooking I can control the spice when I cook at home, and just punch up the flavor!

Almost-kinda-sorta Indian Rice

  • · 2 “good” sprays of butter flavored pam (or you can use oil if you aren’t on a fat free diet)
  • · 2 cup white rice
  • · 4 cups fat free vegan stock chicken and vegetable- I had 2 cups of each (use whatever stock you prefer)
  • · 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • · 2 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • · 2 Tbsp. prepared honey mustard (more or less… I didn’t really measure)
  • · 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • · 1 tsp turmeric
  • · 1 1/2 tsp paprika
  • · 2 tsp cinnamon (I probably used more.. but 1 tsp is a good place to start)
  • · Fresh parsley, chopped
  1. Sauté the rice with the pam in the pan but do not let it brown. (It should be fragrant and get a little darker in color)
  2. Add stock, onion, garlic, mustard and spices. Stir well. Bring to a boil.
  3. Turn down the heat, cover, and let simmer for about 30 minutes, until all the stock is absorbed.
  4. Remove from heat. Fluff with fork. (you will need to mix some of the spices back in) Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with chopped parsley.
  5. (For a low residue version-omit parsley, mince of grate the garlic and onion)
  6. Think about how awesome Ray Rice is while you eat your rice....

No comments:

Post a Comment